Hulu, a video website
My Review: 9
I first read about Hulu, as usual, on Techcrunch. I also go my invite to the private Hulu beta back in January by reading an article Mark Hendrickson wrote for Techcrunch. Many people across the blogosphere have now written about Hulu, largely with good things to say. I don’t plan to be unique in this instance – I have good things to say too. Below is a brisk, bulleted battery of reasons why I think Hulu is excellent and likely to be a winner in this space. Note to developers and Hulu competitors: most of my likes have to do with, you guessed it, user experience. Try to keep up.
- Hulu has lots of good content, most importantly: full length movies as well as TV shows
- Great selections from multiple networks (Fox, NBC, etc.)
- Fun, old school TV content as well as new / popular content: lots of old school shows like Battlestar Galactica (the original), Knight Rider, and Flipper 🙂
- Incredible Selection of full length movies
- User Interface and User Experience:
- The in screen player shows video in very high quality
- There is a full screen mode, still very good quality
- There is a pop-out player, so you can arrange your desktop as you like – the pop-out size is adjustable
- Outstanding memory features: I watched 1 1/2 hours of a movie, and then had to close my computer. I came back the next day and as soon as I logged into Hulu, it the movie restarted from the exact same spot where I had stopped
- Queues and Favorites – you can easily set up a list of favorites or shows / movies that you want to watch
The site is clean, easy to navigate, and well thought out. There are some basic social features, for instance you can set up a profile with your favorite shows, movie, books and music. And you can rate content as you watch it, and see feedback from other users. I’ve used many other video sites before, like Veoh, Daily Motion, and obviously YouTube. None of them even come close to Hulu in terms of content variety, content quality, or user experience. Huge thumbs up and a resounding 9 out of 10.